Much of the information about how to use the How to Cook Everything apps—including How to Cooking Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian—is located on the apps themselves, in the Help section. (Tap More, on the bottom right hand corner of the iPhone apps, to see this option; in the iPad apps, tap Help in the Contents menu at the upper left hand corner.)
Within Help, there are Quick Hints to get you started on the apps, and several other sections with more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will you be updating the app to support iOS 11?
- You're in luck! We've released a new version of the app to support iOS 11. Please check your updates. If you have the older iPhone-only version of the app, which has not been sold in years, then sorry... you'll need to buy the current version. For a discount, buy our Bittman Bundle.
- How can I set the app to display metric units?
- Metric can be turned on from the Settings menu. Find it by tapping More on the home screen on the iPhone apps, or by tapping Settings directly on the iPad home screen.
- How do I find a recipe?
- You can either browse for one, by tapping the Browse Recipes button, or you can search for one, by tapping Search.
- What if I want only vegetarian recipes?
- Use Search, but add a filter: Tap the V (for Vegetarian) under Recipe Type. Only recipes that are vegetarian will appear in your results. That also goes for fast (30 minutes or less), make-ahead, and essential recipes—those that Mark Bittman thinks everyone should know because they're building-block recipes, or are super-easy and/or super-popular.
- So I can search for specific recipes. But what if I want to learn something more general—like how to bake bread?
- Again, you can search—but if you don't have a particular recipe you're looking for, you might tap Kitchen Basics, where Mark Bittman gives his signature straightforward advice about techniques, equipment, ingredients, and various dishes, such as home-baked bread (or gnocchi or pot stickers).
- Can I flag a recipe to look at later?
- Yes! In the iPhone, use the action icon in the upper right-hand corner of any recipe to save it to Favorites; on the iPad, tap the star icon in the upper left hand corner. Within Favorites you can create several folders, although we start you off with one, 'My Favorites.' To add another folder, tap Edit (in the upper right hand corner), tap the green icon that appears, add the name of your new folder, and save it.
- How do I use the shopping list feature?
- With the iPhone, the easiest way is to tap the action icon in the upper right-hand corner of any recipe to save its ingredients to a shopping list; on the iPad, tap the shopping-cart icon. You can also tap the Shop icon at the bottom of the app, select a shopping list (My Groceries is there to get you started), and add items using the plus sign that's located at the lower right hand corner.
- Can I remove items from my shopping list if I change my mind after adding them?
- Use the trashcan icon at the base of the shopping list to delete all the ingredients from a recipe, or use the shopping list's edit mode to delete one item at a time.
- How do I edit a shopping list?
- Tap the pencil in the upper right-hand corner to go into edit mode (the shopping cart signifies shop mode).
- How do I restore a previous in-app purchase to my How to Cook Everything Essentials app?
- This can happen if an app is deleted from your device, or you are loading it on a new device for the first time. But, don't worry, this is easy to fix. Just download Essentials for free again from iTunes. Then open the app and simply select the 'Learn about upgrading to the complete version' link that is right in the middle of the main Essentials screen. Scroll down until you see the 'Restore Previous Purchase' button and tap on that link. It will ask you to give your iTunes ID and password, then will restore the upgrade at no charge.
- Will you do Android versions of these apps?
- We're not yet ready to announce an Android version of any of the How to Cook Everything apps. But we'll broadcast it far and wide when and if we do.
If you have questions about How to Cook Everything or any of our other apps, feel free to email us at email@example.com.